Sunday, July 4, 2010

Student gets PSD scholarship, thanks to MCA

GEORGE TOWN: A student who failed to get a government scholarship twice to pursue higher studies is now rejoicing, thanks to the MCA.

Teoh Bee Kah, 18, who failed to get the scholarship earlier, has been granted a Public Service Department scholarship after she sent an appeal letter to MCA vice-president Datuk Seri Dr Ng Yen Yen.

Teoh, who was born with the nystagmus condition (a form of involuntary eye movement), was awarded a full scholarship for an 18-month Foundation in Business Studies course at the University of Nottingham’s Malaysian campus in Semenyih.

The former Convent Pulau Tikus student, who is now studying in Form Six at St Xavier’s Institution, will start the course on July 8.

“I was verbally guaranteed a National Scholarship on March 19 when I went to Putrajaya to receive an award for being an outstanding student.


■ She got it: Teoh showing her parents, father Lye and mother Kim Guat Khim the congratulatory letter she received from Dr Ng.

“However, the name list came out a week later without my name. So, I thought I would be accepted by the PSD. But my name wasn’t in that list either when it came out on May 21.

“I cried for two days after that because I was so disappointed,” she said after receiving a congratulatory letter from Bagan MCA division Youth chief David Chua on behalf of Dr Ng at the Penang MCA headquarters on Pahang Road here yesterday.

Teoh, who scored 4A+, 3As and 3A- in last year’s SPM examination, said although her first choice was Psychology, she was nevertheless grateful for the scholarship.

She said her nystagmus condition was made difficult with her short-sightedness.

“My eyeballs are constantly moving and it is difficult for me to focus. Doctors told me my condition cannot be corrected with spectacles or surgery,” she said.

Her father, Lye Chuan, 58, said she did not let her condition stand in her way.

“She didn’t attend any tuition classes. Her hearing and memory are excellent too,” said the fisherman.



From : The Star. Northern 1 July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment