Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Top scorer gets PSD scholarship after all


GEORGE TOWN: Visually-impaired Teoh Bee Kah can be assured of a promising future now as she was informed that she had successfully obtained a Public Service Department (PSD) scholarship on Tuesday.

The scholarship is for Teoh, 18, to pursue a Business Foundation course at the University of Nottingham Malaysia campus in Semenyih.

The New Straits Times had highlighted Teoh's plight on June 20 after her application for a scholarship was rejected.


The former SMK Convent Pulau Tikus student had scored 4A+ and 6As in the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia examination last year.


Teoh, who suffers from nystagmus, a condition that causes involuntary eye movements was the top special student in the examination in Penang.

When contacted, an elated Teoh said she was happy to be given the scholarship.


"I am looking forward to pursuing my studies in the university.

"I want to thank all of those who have helped me along the way. Words can't express how grateful I am."

Teoh, who had initially wanted to pursue a degree in psychology, will be reporting to the university on July 8.


She is currently studying in St Xavier's Institution for her Lower Six.

Teoh's mother, Kim Guat Khim, 50, said although her daughter failed to get the course of her choice, she was, however, contented with the course offered to her.

"I want to thank the PSD for the scholarship.

"I also want to thank Deputy Education Minister Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong for taking an interest in my daughter's case.

"In fact, he called me up twice, once on Monday and the following day to congratulate me," she said, adding that she was also grateful to others for their help, including state MCA chief Datuk Seri Dr Ng Yen Yen.



Top scorer gets PSD scholarship after all
from New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment